Hey there everybody, do you know PEI? No? You should visit this beautiful little island located on the Atlantic side of Canada! Just like we fell in love with this place, we know you will too! Here are some interesting facts about Prince Edward Island that will make you want to come running to check it out!
- PEI is the smallest province in Canada, but the most densely populated one.
- PEI was colonized by the British in the 1700s, and it was federated as a Canadian province in 1873.
- PEI's original inhabitants were the Mi’kmaq. Their name for Prince Edward Island was Epekwitk, which means “cradled on the waves”.
- The French explorer first discovered the island in 1534 and named it Isle Saint-Jean. Later in 1763 the British took over and changed the name to St. John’s Island. Then in 1798, the name was changed to Prince Edward Island to distinguish from Saint John in New Brunswick and St. John’s in Newfoundland.
- Prince Edward Island is named after Prince Edward, fourth son of King George III the father of Queen Victoria.
PEI was a fashionable retreat for the British nobility in the 19th century. Lots of adventurous Victorian families came here looking for elegance on the sea.
- In 1997 the Confederation Bridge was done. It connects PEI to New Brunswick and it is 8 miles long, making it the longest bridge built on ice-covered water.
- PEI has more than 90 charming beaches, between red soil and white sand they are beautiful and all worth a visit!
- Did you know PEI is known for its golf courses? There are more than 33 golf courses in PEI!
- And last but not least the Confederation Trail! It is a 449 Kilometers long trail that was created from the old railway beds and welcomes walkers, cyclists, runners, and also snowmobiles in wintertime. It is also accessible for wheelchairs. Its Main Trail starts at kilometer 0 in Tignish and takes you all the way to the other side of the island in Elmira at kilometer 273.
Are you tempted yet to visit us and discover more curious and fun facts about our beautiful little Island? You will have loads of fun guarantees!